Monday, March 19, 2018

Altered Minds (2015---although the closing credits indicate 2013)
1 hr 35 min

Watched on Amazon Prime.

This is a highly charged movie. A family in crisis due to the illness of the father, but deeply broken and wounded. Due to subject matter only (non-deadly violence/a small amount of blood) I would rate this as a hard R. I found myself involuntarily holding my breathe during portions of this film. Ironic due to the condition of the main character. Acting was superb. Judd Hirsch (as Dr, Shellner) was the standout, but the entire ensemble worked well together and seemed to be relatable. The soundtrack did venture into hyper-dramatic drive in parts, but the excellent performances kept me watching. While the movie takes a while to get going, it seemed like the last 30 minutes raced to the conclusion. I can see this more effectively unfolding in dramatic play than in cinema format.  Some scenes needed a little editing, but that is nitpicking.  I cannot recommend this movie as entertainment, but I can recommend it as education and enlightenment. The last 2 lines of this film spoken by Judd Hirsch were amazing. I am not sure if they belong to the scriptwriter or someone else, but they resonated in my mind after the closing credits ended.

No comments:

Post a Comment