Friday, March 30, 2018

Ready Player One (2018)


I enjoyed the movie, but only made it through approximately 1/3 of the book. I feel guilty about that deficiency. However, from the 1/3 that I did read, Steven Spielberg has energized this film. He has merged images, dialogue, sound, and editing into a design that becomes a entity, a single thing that is not betrayed by its individual moving parts. The screenplay writers Zak Penn and Ernest Cline (Cline was also the novel's author) are to be credited for translating a novel into a fast moving adventure movie. I found that I had the urge to press (nonexistent) pause and rewind buttons. My biggest complaint was I wanted a longer movie with more time IN the Oasis. Solving the game after 5 years seem to proceed a warp speed. Will be looking forward to using that pause/rewind feature when this movie streams/issued in blu-ray. I think that Spielberg and the writers were trying to make a valid point that reality overcomes fantasy in its power for humanity.

This was a fun movie. Only got through beginning 1/3 of the book. I feel badly about that. Steven Spielberg gave the world within the novel an energy and warmth not in the portion that I read. However, one of the scriptwriters (Ernest Cline) was also listed as one of two screenwriters. Perhaps having the book be more weighty, somber and serious than the movie may just be a case of comparing apples (books) to oranges (movies). Two great things that are not the same things.



Ready Player One was so much fun. I only made it 1/3 into the novel. I am going to have to buy this movie so I can repeatedly pause and rewind.  Thank you Jeremy! I totally missed that the librarian was the  "ask Jeeves" from the olden days when Google was not yet a verb!

I do like a fantasy world far beyond the one waiting for me as I exit the theater . While I applaud the message, part of me wants the fantasy of world building.

One weird point...who thought that Samantha aka Art3mis (Olivia Cooke) looked a little like "young" Lorraine (Lea Thompson) in Back To The Future?



DIRECTED BY - Steven Spielberg

Innovative Online Industries (IOI) = Nolan Sorrento's corporation trying to acquire the Oasis 
Ontologically Anthropocentric Sensory Immersive Simulation (OASIS) =  partners Halliday/Ogden Morrow

Parzival/Wade Watts  - Tye Sheridan
Art3mis/Samantha     - Olivia Cooke
I-R0k                          - TJ Miller
Nolan Sorrento           - Ben Mendelsohn 
Ogden Morrow          - Simon Pegg         
Anorak/Halliday        - Mark Rylance         
Aech/Helen                - Lena Waithe           
Sho  (Shoto in  bk)     - Philip Zhao           
Daito                          - Win Morisaki         
F'Nale Zandor            - Hannah John-Kamen
Kira                            - Perdita Weeks

No comments:

Post a Comment