Saturday, March 17, 2018

Tomb Raider (2018)


I would have traded most of the BMX scenes for additional time at the island. Early on, at the island section, Lara gets from point A to point B and back again in seemingly minutes. I did enjoy the scene with a certain large piece of used equipment during this relatively short commute. Difficult to be more specific without spoilers. I am a (very) casual player of this game franchise. While I did have issues with the movie, I enjoyed it for what it was, a popcorn movie. I did not dwell on its deficiency at being the savior of video game movies. I feel someday that there will be a "Wonder Woman" of video game movies (along with prosperity, world peace and AI which are not our overlords). Such is the context and fantasy regarding my opinion on Tomb Raider (2018).

-------------- I am only a casual Tomb Raider game player. However I did recognize some of the iconic scenes of Lara "in action" . As a fun popcorn movie this version of Tomb Raider was entertaining. This is more of a prequel Tomb Raider with many scenes of Lara as a child. Yes I did know who the big bad villain(not just the bad villain) was, but it didn't make me want to exit the movie, physically or mentally. I could have used less BMX time with more sailing and island time. I would watch a 2nd movie with Alicia Vikander in this role. -------------
I am only a casual fan/player of the Tomb Raider video games. This movie entertained me, as a good popcorn movie should do. I think the ads/trailers should have informed prospective viewers that this movie is more of a prequel.  Lara Croft's character does not fully morph into Tomb Raider format until literally the last 2 minutes of this movie. I feel so jaded, everything is all dependent on the ads.

--------------
I am only a very casual player of the newer Tomb Raider games. I thought this was a fun, entertaining, slightly mindless movie. Yeah batteries do not last that long, at least that is what Apple geniuses keep telling me. Tomb Raider had problems, but I think that its biggest problem was being not being clearly identified as a prequel in the advertising. Not the best video game movie (becoming an oxymoron), but seemed better than Assassin's Creed. Would love to listen to discussion regarding being a lead in action/video game movies between Michael and Alicia over lattes  I disagree with Jeremy, no alcohol is required only copious amounts of  gummy concession candy, a tub of popcorn and a huge bottle of water (because one should ALWAYS eat healthy at theaters)😳.

---------------

 had a fun time at this movie (yes the popcorn was with me). I could have used less BMX time and more island time. Unlike Assassins Creed which so crushed my spirit, this movie was enjoyable with no sneaking my phone out to get the time. Being that Michael Fassbender and Alicia Vikander are a couple, I would LOVE to "overhear" their conversation regarding being a lead in a video game movie. Thanks for your review on this movie Oh "Black Nerd", it was honest and fair. Some reviewers seem to seethe disappoint and anguish that Tomb Raider (2018) is not "The One".
I did enjoy this movie. I never had to sneak my phone out to check the time.  I could have used less BMX time and more time on the island. And like everyone is saying, I want THAT battery from the old video camera. My iPhone (admittedly only a 6S) can barely hold a charge for 24 hours. I am just a casual player of the most recent Tomb Raider game. However,  I did recognize and appreciate many iconic scenes that translated well to the large screen. Alicia Vikander inhabits this role quite comfortably. Of course whether we see a 2nd is probably going to be foretold in the statistics assembled by box office mojo.

No comments:

Post a Comment